ETN CPD - Nutrition Answers September 2017
1. Carbohydrates are an energy source for a horse:
C) Depends on the type of carbohydrate
2. Glucose is a:
3. In which of the following polysaccharides is glucose not stored in plants?
4. Sucrose is a disaccharide made up of:
A) Glucose and galactose
B) Glucose and glucose
C) Glucose and lactose
D) Glucose and fructose
5. What is the main source of energy for the brain?
6. Where is glycogen stored in the horse?
A) Liver and spleen
B) Liver and adipose tissue
C) Muscle and adipose tissue
D) Liver and muscle
7. When cereal-grains are needed in a horse’s diet, which is the best source to use?
A) Flaked maize
B) Raw barley
C) Raw oats
D) Cooked wheat
8. For a horse with PPID (Cushing’s), would you recommend a diet that is:
B) Low in carbohydrates
C) Low in Non-Structural Carbohydrates
D) Low in complex carbohydrates
9. Which constituents of plant cell walls have the highest and lowest digestibility in the hindgut of a horse?
A) Pectin and lignin
B) Cellulose and pectin
C) Hemi-cellulose and lignin
D) Lignin and cellulose
10. Structural carbohydrates are digested:
A) By amylase enzymes in the small intestine
B) By amylolytic bacteria in the hindgut
C) By lipase enzymes in the small intestine
D) By cellulolytic bacteria in the hindgut
*Please confirm you have not completed / will not complete the CPD postal form in ETN magazine. Answers to CPD features can only be submitted once